An important question to ask during these uncertain times is whether it is still safe to purchase products online, especially as your online shopping increases while shelter in place directives are enforced. It's more important than ever to take care with the parcels you are receiving into your home.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO): YES, it is still okay to order products online during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Source: World Health Organization
We know that for many of us online shopping had already become the new normal before the COVID-19 outbreak. Here are our tips for extra precaution once you've received packages from any eCommerce store:
- Bring your parcel in and unbox it on one surface that is easy to clean.
- Wash your hands with soap before and after unboxing your parcel. Avoid touching your face, including eyes, nose, and mouth, while opening your parcel.
- Discard outer item packaging, ensuring you wash your hands again before touching any of the actual unwrapped items you received.
- Wash applicable materials when able before using your item (i.e., wash any blankets, clothes, brushes, etc., that you receive before using). Follow all care instructions recommended by the manufacturer or sender to ensure you're able to wash the item or to discover other means of sanitizing your item when necessary.
- Once empty, properly dispose of the parcel box and any other waste materials to your safe/outdoor waste or recycle receptacles.
- Disinfect the surface(s) that your parcel touched. As the WHO recommends, clean the surface with a simple disinfectant to kill any present virus, then wash your hands with soap and water.
To read about the measures we are taking during the COVID-19 outbreak, click here.
Stay safe and healthy!